Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Brief Bio

Hello there, reader!

My name is Krishna, creator of this blog. I am currently pursuing a degree in computer science and am hoping to graduate in December. I have also taken several courses in physics, just because I think the subject is cool.

My short term goal is to get an internship over the summer and a job after I graduate, working as a programmer or as a consultant in the tech industry. Then it's off to business school to get an MBA in finance to maybe break into the financial analysis market. The details of how I'll accomplish that are up in the air for now, though.

Outside of academics, I love consumer electronics and keeping up with the trade shows that surround them before they're available to the public. I like watching as prototypes and tech demos get more and more refined every time we see them, and I like watching how the marketing changes with a product as it becomes more clear what the scope of the product's functionality will be. More than any other piece of consumer electronics, I follow video games and love talking about them and that industry. This is because I feel the video game industry offers so many facets to follow. You could choose to follow development and related art and technologies, or you could follow publishers and their business-side antics, or how games are covered by the media (both mainstream and game-centric), and a lot more. Plus you get to play video games once they release!

I hope this post gave you a nibble of insight into who I am and what I do.


2 comments:

  1. Your headline is explanatory and gives me unknown information on the topic before I read the article. The bullet points are a good way to organize and summarize the information in the article, however I think the first bullet is ineffective since it simply just repeats the headline in a slightly different way. I am also confused by the second bullet that says "Most advergames are too shallow to allow for long-lasting player engagement." I am not sure what you really meant by the word "shallow." I think the picture is explanatory and in a good place because it shows readers what was being described in the paragraph before it. I do however think that the picture is a little too big and could have had a better resolution considering some of the words are a little bit blurry. The subheadlines should be capitalized to engage readers. For example the first sub-headline was, "Overview of the study." I think it should be written as "Overview of the Study" so it is clearer that it is a new title. I like that the second picture of the in-game advertisement has the main character (Shaun White) off centered and the Wendy's sign in the background. However, I think the retailer ad should be the main subject as in this picture https://kierstenkosko.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/advertsingame-billboards.jpg. The picture I linked is also a more modern representation of the types of video games popular today, making your post seem more recent and updated.
    In your paragraph titled, "Advergames are interactive, so why aren't they more effective than TV ads," I like the link to the definition of "reversi" because I do not think many people are familiar with that game term. I am, however, confused in this paragraph when you refer to the "advergame above." The advergame is all the way at the top of the article so when I first read it I assume you are talking about the in-game advertising picture which is above that paragraph. I think the picture you were referring to could have been a little more clear. I do also think that the picture is a little dark, making it hard to distinguish what is going on. I think this picture, http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/529f67986da8112f2c489193-480/mms-super-bowl-ad-2013.png, may have been a little clearer and more explanatory. In the last paragraph, I think you should have added a link on the words "Oculus Rift." Not everyone is familiar with that product and therefore I think a link to this website (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game) would have been a good way to show and explain what the product is to readers.
    Overall, I like how your topic touches on the Uses and Gratification Theory from chapter 12. The study describes how these advertisements are using products that relate to a large number of consumers today, as well as engaging them through games. The gaming aspect shows how human nature has the need for entertainment, and therefore uses this interactive media to fulfill that.This article also touches on the the role of theory and research. These advertisers are figuring out what attracts the public, and therefore using that information as a guide of how to show their products.
    I like how the layout of this article goes from descriptions of the main ideas, to details and conclusions on the research, and then ends with an outlook on the future of advertising. I however would like to see more specific details about the study such as the different results of each measured qualifier (brand attitude, product involvement, telepresence, and proven day-after recall). We only know that product involvement and brand attitude were more evident factors of the effectiveness, but what about the rest? Despite some adjustments that could have been made, this was an enjoyable post and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I liked a lot of your suggestions on how I could improve my wording and formatting. For your reference though, the picture you suggested to demonstrate advertising in games, https://kierstenkosko.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/advertsingame-billboards.jpg, is an edited screenshot of the game Battlefield 2142, a game released in 2006 (Shaun White Skateboarding was released in 2008, still a long time ago). Those advertisements weren't actually in the game! Finding 3D games with advertisements from real-world companies in-game is hard, but your point - that when people think of video games, they think shooters - is taken.

      Delete